Current:Home > ContactAustralia police offer $1 million reward in case of boy who vanished half a century ago -Prime Capital Blueprint
Australia police offer $1 million reward in case of boy who vanished half a century ago
TradeEdge Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 20:53:13
Police in Australia are offering a $1 million reward for information that could lead to an arrest and conviction in a cold case dating back almost 50 years. James Patrick Taylor, known as Jimmy, vanished on Aug. 29, 1974, after walking from his family's home in Derby to a local store about half a mile away, according to Western Australia Police.
Taylor was 12 years old when he disappeared. His profile on the police force's online log of missing people describes Taylor as independent and "happy-go-lucky," adding that the boy "always carried a plastic hair comb with him." He lived in Derby, a small, remote town in northwestern Australia, with his parents, five siblings and other relatives, according to the description, which also notes that the boy had completed grocery runs alone for his family before, and had traveled on his own to the local store, called Lwoys, "on numerous occasions."
He was last seen getting into the passenger side a dark-colored vehicle outside of Lwoys after going in to buy a soft drink. A witness later told police that a man between the ages of 25 and 35 was driving the car, and "spoke assertively towards Jimmy to get in the vehicle" before Taylor stepped in. At the time, Taylor was barefoot and wearing a grey sleeveless shirt and black football shorts.
Taylor's family believed that the child had gone to visit a friend at the Myroodah cattle station, which is about 90 minutes outside of Derby by car, and did not expect him to return home on the night of Aug. 29. His father reported him missing several days later, on Sept. 5.
Police say there have been no confirmed sightings of Taylor, nor has he contacted any family members or friends, since the day of his disappearance. The boy never had access to bank accounts or appeared in government databases.
A suspect has not been identified in connection with Taylor's case. Still, half a century after he went missing, police are requesting that anyone with information about the boy's disappearance contact the Western Australia Police's crime stoppers unit directly, or submit tips online.
Taylor's disappearance is one of 64 missing persons cases and cold case homicides that are currently unsolved in Western Australia. Although his is one of the oldest, a handful of cases date back to the 1970s, with multiple involving children and teenagers. Many of the victims in those cold cases were never found.
In a push to move them forward, the police force recently announced that the government would give $1 million rewards for tips leading to a conviction in any of the unsolved cases.
"The Western Australia police force have always treated every case as equally important," said Paul Papalia, the minister for police in Western Australia, at a news conference announcing the new rewards last week.
"Sadly, our reward system has not reflected that approach. It is a wrong that we are righting today," he said.
- In:
- Australia
- Cold Case
- Missing Person
veryGood! (91)
Related
- The White House is cracking down on overdraft fees
- McConnell absent from Senate on Thursday as he recovers from fall in Capitol
- Woman fired from Little India massage parlour arrested for smashing store's glass door
- The best tech gifts, gadgets for the holidays featured on 'The Today Show'
- Could your smelly farts help science?
- 'Yellowstone' Season 5, Part 2: Here's when the final episode comes out and how to watch
- How Hailee Steinfeld and Josh Allen Navigate Their Private Romance on Their Turf
- Stock market today: Asian shares retreat, tracking Wall St decline as price data disappoints
- Why we love Bear Pond Books, a ski town bookstore with a French bulldog 'Staff Pup'
- Timothée Chalamet makes an electric Bob Dylan: 'A Complete Unknown' review
Ranking
- Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
- Highlights from Trump’s interview with Time magazine
- Apple, Android users on notice from FBI, CISA about texts amid 'massive espionage campaign'
- Elon Musk just gave Nvidia investors one billion reasons to cheer for reported partnership
- Kylie Jenner Shows Off Sweet Notes From Nieces Dream Kardashian & Chicago West
- Military service academies see drop in reported sexual assaults after alarming surge
- Krispy Kreme's 'Day of the Dozens' offers 12 free doughnuts with purchase: When to get the deal
- Apple, Android users on notice from FBI, CISA about texts amid 'massive espionage campaign'
Recommendation
See you latte: Starbucks plans to cut 30% of its menu
Federal appeals court takes step closer to banning TikTok in US: Here's what to know
Not sure what to write in your holiday card? These tips can help: Video tutorial
Timothée Chalamet makes an electric Bob Dylan: 'A Complete Unknown' review
Backstage at New York's Jingle Ball with Jimmy Fallon, 'Queer Eye' and Meghan Trainor
As a Major California Oil Producer Eyes Carbon Storage, Thousands of Idle Wells Await Cleanup
Only about 2 in 10 Americans approve of Biden’s pardon of his son Hunter, an AP
'Vanderpump Rules' star DJ James Kennedy arrested on domestic violence charges